Tax Filing Information
Tax season is here and we wanted to send information regarding the 2022 season and some logistics and processes we are implementing for this year. The security of your personal information is important to us therefore, we have updated our processes to help ensure your data is safe.
Please review these important notes for this tax season:
- March 15, 2022 – Tax source documents due to MSM Advisors
- April 15, 2022 – IRS Tax Return due date
Your Security is Important to Us
Document preparation and submission:
- Submit complete documentation by the deadline
- Please ensure you have gathered all documents needed for the preparation of your tax return. To review last year’s information, the Client Organizer can be accessed via your ShareFile account.
- DOWNLOAD the client checklist as a reminder of general documents needed, as well as update information regarding any life events or changes in contact information. (You will need to download the checklist FIRST, complete, save to your device and upload with other documents to ShareFile account). Checklist can be found here/link.
- If we receive your information after the above date, we will have to file an extension and prepare your return in May; we will be unable to prepare an extension payment estimate before the April deadline as well.
All documentation must be submitted electronically as PDF documents
- DO NOT SEND DOCUMENTATION VIA EMAIL -THIS IS NOT SECURE!
- Scan documents via desktop or mobile device and upload to your ShareFile account via the Client Login tab on the MSM Advisors website
- A how-to video for help with mobile scanning of documents can be found on our How-To Resource page.
Tax Return completion and signatures:
If you file electrocnically:
- You will receive an email notification that your tax return is ready for signatures
- Both spouses need to sign and follow instructions to submit to IRS by due date
- Once the IRS has accepted your return, you may check the status via the IRS website in IRS Refund Status under the Client Resources tab on our website
If you file by mail:
- Return must be signed and postmarked by IRS due date
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR 2021:
- Please prepare for another slow processing season with the IRS due to the backlog from the previous two years, as well as new challenges for the 2022 filing season. Submitting complete and accurate information along with utilizing electronic filing and direct deposit for refunds will help in reducing additional delays.
- We must have correct information for the third EIP (stimulus payment) and Advance Child Tax Credit payments. Incorrect or missing information will cause the processing of your tax return to be delayed with the IRS. Here is a link to the IRS website where you can locate this information.
Here is a concise summary of the tax season process:
- Gather tax documents
- Complete Client Checklist
- Upload Client Checklist and tax documents in PDF format to ShareFile by above deadline
- We prepare your return and email you with questions
- When complete we send you the e-file authorization forms to e-sign and once signed we e-file your return
- You receive confirmation emails from taxing agency (federal/state) when your returns are accepted
- Your completed tax return with any payment vouchers will be uploaded to ShareFile for your future access